Aug. 21st, 2026 05:59 pmNSFW

Day 6

siliconshaman: black cat against the moon (Default)
[personal profile] siliconshaman
So... got rather more done today.

semi demolished




Although I did run into an unanticipated problem initially. I used my chainsaw to chop away all the upright supports, starting at the furthest, and working towards the outside edge....

and the damn roof DIDN'T fall down. It just hung there, in space, totally unsupported apart from the two edges where it attached to the workshop and the fence at the far back. Which left me with a bit of a problem insofar as I REALLY didn't want to try standing under it. 

Thankfully hitting it repeatedly with a big hammer on the outermost corner caused it to collapse, slowly, but it came down far enough I could access the roofing screws and start removing metal sheeting. Once I've got that all stripped off I can cut it up into chunks with the chainsaw. Although by the end of this I may need to sharpen the teeth...I've hit a few screws and bolts already, and I anticipate that'll happen again. 

I've another week to run on the skip hire, and I think I'll manage to get everything in it...and maybe a bit of room left over for misc random crap. 

Then... onto building! 
Date: 2026-08-21 05:16 pm (UTC)

msstacy13: (Default)
From: [personal profile] msstacy13
Glad you paid attention to my advice...
:)
Date: 2026-08-21 05:40 pm (UTC)

Woohoo!

dialecticdreamer: My work (Default)
From: [personal profile] dialecticdreamer
That's a lot of progress!

I ran into something that I can't fix with the desk that I bought: IN the assembly instructions, but NOT on the online details, it says that the BOOKSHELVES can only hold a max of ten lbs each. That's UNDER 5 kilos. Of BOOKS? That's like four paperbacks! The WHOLE desktop can only hold 25lbs/ a smidge over 10.5 kilos.

SO now I have a brand new desk with SOME assembly started, no way to return it because the box got wrecked trying to get it open, and it won't replace the computer desk I NEED to not be barking my shins on all the time.

Your hammer and chainsaw solutions REALLY appeal right now!
Date: 2026-08-21 07:20 pm (UTC)

Re: Woohoo!

dialecticdreamer: My work (Default)
From: [personal profile] dialecticdreamer
No bracing, not a single extra screw, AND it may be moot because the first leg was attached partway with two screws. I needed a break before bending that far again, but the side fell over to the underside of the desktop. I dread looking at the damage to the particleboard underneath.

If I get it assembled at all, it'll work as a desk, but won't hold the printer at all, even on the desktop.

If I ever get this desk assembled, I'm tempted to buy a replacement dining table and put IT together with some version of superglue, and NEVER buy furniture for the house again... Wait. I might buy more bookcases...
Date: 2026-08-21 06:08 pm (UTC)

warriorsavant: +Sword & Microscope (Default)
From: [personal profile] warriorsavant

So hitting it with a hammer smashed the anti-gravity device that was keeping it up. Wow, didn't think they were so fragile.

Anyhow, good job on the progress.

Date: 2026-08-25 07:33 pm (UTC)

kellan_the_tabby: My face, reflected in a round mirror I'm holding up; the rest of the image is the side of my head, hair shorn short. (Default)
From: [personal profile] kellan_the_tabby
I am absolutely picturing the look on your face & CACKLING

Profile

siliconshaman: black cat against the moon (Default)
siliconshaman

August 2026

S M T W T F S
      1
234567 8
9101112 131415
16 171819 20 2122
2324 2526272829
30 31     

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 1st, 2026 03:19 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios